Wizards of the Coast announced a new Magic: the Gathering collaboration with Capcom’s Street Fighter on Sunday. Secret Lair × Street Fighter is a limited edition MTG series, featuring eight playable characters from Street Fighter II. These characters will be integrated into unique cards. The series is now available for preorder.
MTG Secret Lair × Street Fighter
Street Fighter is celebrating its 35th anniversary. Each of the eight characters coming to MTG have unique abilities. For example, Chun-Li, has a “multikicker” effect, paying homage to her signature move. Mark Heggen, the Product Architect for Wizards of the Coast said he and the team are “lifelong fans” of Street Fighter and that “this partnership has been a dream come true.”
The eight Street Fighter characters coming to the MTG series are:
- E. Honda, Sumo Champion
- Ryu, World Warrior
- Ken, Burning Brawler
- Blanka, Ferocious Friend
- Chun-Li, Countless Kicks
- Dhalsim, Pliable Pacifist
- Guile, Sonic Solider
- Zangief, the Red Cyclone
Whilst the two games come from very different genres, they are able to be integrated into some unique gameplay. Blanka, for example, is a beast-like man in the Street Fighter series. In MTG, he becomes a “Human Beast Warrior,” giving him both human and beast abilities. Ken, another iconic Street Fighter character, has the “Training” ability, a call back to his training and journey as a marital artist.
The Secret Lair × Street Fighter drop is available for preorder in both traditional foil ($49.99 USD) and regular editions ($39.99 USD). Secret Lair × Street Fighter will be released on July 29 this year.
Alongside the Secret Lair × Street Fighter release, Wizards of the Coast unveiled a number of new and alternative cards for the Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty set. This superdrop includes the new ninja Planeswalker card, Kaito Shizuki. The new bundles available are:
- Li’l Walkers – five Planeswalkers in their chibi versions by artist Uta Natsume
- Introducing Kaito Shizuki – featuring five versions of Kaito Shizuki by artist Rorubei
- Special Guest: Yuko Shimizu – four alternative art cards by Japanese illustrator Yuko Shimizu
- Showcase: Neon Dynasty – four neon foil ink cards by various artists
- Shades Not Included – five 1980s inspired synthwave Land cards by artist Ben Schnuck
- Pictures of the Floating World – five traditional Japanese style Land art cards by various Japanese artists
- Kamigawa: The Manga: The Cards – five alternative art cards in manga-art style by artist Riyou Kamei
Each bundle is available for preorder now. They each come in both foil and non-foil editions. There are three large bundles available for purchase which includes all the card bundles above, as well as the Secret Lair × Street Fighter bundle. For availability and pricing, see the Magic: The Gathering website.