Earlier this week, the beta for the new Refer a Friend program began in Fortnite Season 8. This is a system that allows existing Fortnite players to get their friends to experience the game. While this is a novel idea itself, Epic Games is upping the ante by making an exclusive skin available to players who participate.
The skin is called “Rainbow Rider” and it’s only available through participating in the Refer a Friend program. There are also other cosmetics available with the skin, including a wrap, glider and pickaxe. Players can earn each of these cosmetics through completing challenges with the friend they referred in Fortnite. The full explanation for the Refer a Friend program is found below.
The Refer a Friend program in Fortnite
The steps to enlist other players in the Refer a Friend program are relatively simple, as outlined by Epic Games:
- Sign up on the Refer a Friend website with your Epic account
- Invite up to five eligible friends via the website (as further described below) to play Fortnite
- Complete in-game tasks together
- Earn rewards, including the Rainbow Racer Outfit
Essentially, players must complete tasks in Fortnite together to unlock various rewards. Each player will unlock the reward, so it’s a win-win for both parties. For a new player to qualify for the Refer a Friend program, they must have less than 120 minutes played on their Fortnite account in the past 30 days. So, a veteran Fortnite player can’t invite their veteran player friend for this to work. The referred player and the player who referred them must also be friends in Fortnite.
Once these prerequisites are complete and players have a qualified friend, they can begin playing Fortnite together. If they manage to complete all of the tasks below, they’ll unlock the full set of Rainbow Rider cosmetics.
- Rainbow Rider Wrap
- Play one game of Fortnite (Duos, Trios, or Squads) with the referee
- Rainbow Rider Glider
- Place top 10 three times with the referee
- Rainbow Rider Pickaxe
- Eliminate ten opponents with the referee
- Rainbow Rider Outfit
- You and your referee must gain 60 levels on both of your accounts
These challenges could take some time, especially the last one that requires 60 levels on each account. Players have until Nov. 14 to register for the program with their friends.