When you are around exploring Santa Monica in Dead Island 2, you might stumble across the Lifeguard Operations Tower. Inside this large building, you will likely run into Randy, a named zombie enemy that tries to attack you at one of the entrances to the building. If you manage to defeat Randy, he will drop a note, which upon being picked up, starts the Fools Gold Lost and Found quest in Dead Island 2.
Just like all other Lost and Found quests in Dead Island 2, you need to find a series of journals left behind by people before the start of the zombie outbreak. For Fools Gold, in particular, you are following a paper trail between Randy and another man named Dante. These two self-described idiots decided to steal a murder weapon from the police and hid it in a safe. However, with the military now swarming the city due to the zombie outbreak, they want to get the weapon out of the safe. It’s your job to follow their paper trail, find the code to the safe, and then find the location of the safe.
I managed to complete this quest in around an hour, so you shouldn’t expect much more time than that to finish it up. To see exactly how to complete the Fools Gold quest in Dead Island 2, keep reading below.
Completing Fools Gold in Dead Island 2
We will explain all of the necessary steps to complete this quest below. Each step will be accompanied by an image and an explanation, with the image following each explanation.
Fools Gold Quest Steps
- If you are at Randy’s body, then go further into the building and not back out onto the beach. Keep going straight until you reach the end of the hallway, then turn right. Go to the end of that hallway and turn right again. There will be two lockers at the end of the hall, open up the one on the left to retrieve the second journal.
- If you are not at Randy’s body, then fast travel to “The Pier – Lifeguard HQ” from the Venice Beach fast travel category. Head out the exit, hop down onto the truck, and then go inside the building straight ahead. Take a right, and then look right at the end of the hall to find the locker with the note.
- You now need to find two journal entries, one of which is by the ferris wheel at the Santa Monica pier. Head all the way to the end of the pier near the ferris wheel. To the right of the wheel, you will find a gate opening that leads behind the ferris wheel. Go through it and then take a left and go through another gate. At the far end of the pier, you will see a yellow and blue-striped ice cream shop. Go behind the ice cream shop to the left and find the third journal entry sitting on a wooden bench.
- The fourth and final journal entry is by a frozen yogurt shop. Head back out to the entrance of the Santa Monica pier in the opposite direction of the ferris wheel. Once you hit the beach, keep going straight until you reach the sidewalk with all of the shops located on it. Go all the way to the right of these shops and at the very end, you’ll see a blue sign advertising frozen yogurt amongst other food items. To the right of the shop, there is an alley. Head down the alley and find the fourth journal sitting on the ground on the left side.
- After reading all the journals, you have the combo to the safe. Head back to the spot where you started this quest and found Randy’s body. At the location of Randy’s body, head out to the sand area and then take a left. Go down the sand alley by taking another left. Eventually, you’ll trigger a new objective, which is to kill all of the zombies before entering the safe code. Kill all the zombies and then find the safe half-buried in the ground near the blockades.
- Hold the interact button on the safe and you will receive its reward, which is the legendary Blood Rage knife with the Superior Melee Liquidator Mod. I also found the knife at a higher level, and it had 393 base power. The Fools Gold quest is now complete in Dead Island 2.
Lost and Found quests can be tough to complete in Dead Island 2, but we hope you were able to finish this one rather easily. The reward at the end is certainly worth it, as I used the Blood Rage knife for quite some time.