Sometimes you just need a change of pace, and Overwatch 2 gives players that ability regarding their display name. Like many other free-to-play games on the market, players have the ability to completely alter their gamertag in Overwatch 2. Essentially, this means players can change what other users see their name as in-game.
To change their display name in Overwatch’s new sequel, players will need to navigate outside of the game itself. We’ll explain all of the steps involved below.
Change your PC display name in Overwatch 2
The first step involved in this process is to open up the Battle.Net launcher. The launcher is only available to those on PC, so if you’re on Xbox, PlayStation, or Switch, you’ll need to follow other instructions.
From the launcher, log into your Battle.Net account that you currently use in Overwatch 2. Once you’re logged in, follow these steps to change your display name:
- Click your display name located in the top right of the screen of the launcher
- Select “View Profile” from the dropdown menu
- Find the “Your Information” Box on the main Account Settings page
- Click the “Account Details” option in the Your Information box
- Scroll down until you see “Battletag”
- From here, you can change your Battletag for free if you’ve never done so before.
- If you have changed your Battletag before, then you need to purchase a Battletag Change, which can be done by clicking on the link on the right side of the Battletag box.
The Battletag change costs $10, so if you’re planning to change for the first time, make sure it’s a name you truly want.
Change your console display name in Overwatch 2
For those on console, you won’t be able to change your display name through Battle.Net. Instead, you need to change your entire gamertag, which requires a different process on each console. We’ll explain how to do so on both Xbox and PlayStation below.
- Go to the Settings tab from the home screen
- Scroll down until you see “Users and Accounts”
- Select “Accounts” and then “Profile”
- Log into your PlayStation Network account
- Select the option to pick a new gamertag
- Check the gamertag’s availability, and then confirm the choice
- From the console, go to your profile by hitting the Xbox button on your controller
- Pick the correct profile then select “Customize Profile”
- Go to your gamertag and select “Choose new gamertag”
- Enter your desired name and check its availability
- If it’s available, you can confirm the choice
Now, no matter what system you’re on in Overwatch 2, you can have a different display name.