Shadowheart’s Daughter of Darkness questline wraps up when you get to Act 3 in Baldur’s Gate 3. More specifically, you need to travel to the House of Grief in the Lower City and face Viconia DeVir, the Mother Superior for Lady Shar, after the events in the Gauntlet of Shar.
At the House of Grief, Shadowheart is able to face her former brothers and sisters and explain why she turned her back on Lady Shar when she helped the Nightsong escape.
Of course, if you ended up killing the Nightsong with Shadowheart, then this quest turns into something else entirely. This guide is just for players who made Shadowheart save the Nightsong and now need to defeat Viconia Devir and the 20+ other enemies in the Sharran Temple underneath the House of Grief.
How to win the fight against Viconia DeVir in Baldur’s Gate 3
When you get to the House of Grief and go into the back room, DeVir will appear and make Shadowheart travel to the Sharran Temple below. This is where Shadowheart spent her entire childhood, and now she’s back looking for her parents that were taken from her.
Heading down into the temple will put you face-to-face with DeVir in an auditorium. Dialogue with the Mother Superior will make you decide to either give up Shadowheart to the temple, which turns her against you, or protect Shadowheart and face the wrath of DeVir and the other Lady Shar worshippers present.
Naturally, many players will choose to save Shadowheart. This will initiate combat immediately, and you will discover that there are over 20 enemies to defeat. If you’re like me, you are simply wondering if this fight is even possible to win. I found that on the Explorer difficulty, it is entirely possible to win.
However, on the higher difficulties, this fight is extremely difficult, and I recommend you lower your difficulty for this fight only.
Here are my tips for winning the fight against Viconia DeVir and her Lady Shar followers:
- Separate your characters by going up the staircases, as this makes it harder for the enemies to group up on you in the middle of the arena.
- Make sure your character with the most AoE spells is kept alive at all costs. The Lady Shar enemies tend to travel in packs, and AoE spells are the best way to take them out in one or two moves.
- Don’t try to attack Viconia DeVir until the fight is almost over, as she will turn into a wolf and then continue to fully heal herself after she is damaged. You need all four characters focused on her to make sure she has all of her health knocked out before she can heal.
- The Lady Shar enemies will cast Darkness spells constantly, so you need to make sure you’re moving out of the black smoke areas to have a bigger attack radius.
- Don’t be shy about using health potions for your turn, as you need all four characters to stay alive for as long as possible.
- Take the fight enemy by enemy with your non-AoE characters. Knocking one enemy out is a big win.
- Always try to stay on the move so you can avoid the Darkness spells and make your enemies move into less advantageous positions.
It took me three separate tries to win this fight on Explorer difficulty. I took out Viconia DeVir as the second-to-last enemy left, which knocks her out instead of killing her. After the fight is over, you need to make a decision on whether to kill DeVir or not.
Once DeVir is saved or killed, you can progress into the Chamber of Lost at the end of the arena to wrap up Shadowheart’s questline in Baldur’s Gate 3.